How to start trading on stocks and shares in the UK
Published on: 23/12/2021 | Modified on: 23/01/2023
Want to trade on the stock market but unsure how to get started? Like anything else, trading on stocks can look complicated if you’ve never done it before, but the basic concept is very straightforward — you can make money by buying an asset and selling it on for a higher price. This guide to derivative stock trading for beginners shows you in simple terms where and how to get started, the different methods, the types of stocks you can access, and how to recognise the reasons shares might move up or down.
- Trading on stocks can be an easy, manageable way to grow your money
- You can speculate on whether an asset’s price will go up or down using different trading strategies such as buy-and-hold or short-selling
- Trading can involve individual stocks or collections encompassing a variety of stocks or sectors (indices and ETFs)
- Success requires a knowledge of the market and why shares move up and down, an understanding of how trading works and application of risk-management
- You can spread bet or trade CFDs on 10,000+ stocks in our Product Library