What is spread betting? Everything you need to know
Published on: 08/10/2021 | Modified on: 18/05/2022
In this article, we’ll explain the essentials of financial spread betting, including strategies, tips and examples. At CMC Markets, we provide leveraged exposure to 9,000+ stocks and shares, 330+ forex pairs, 80+ stock indices, 100+ commodities, and 50+ treasuries.
This article should guide you towards understanding if it's a suitable trading method for you, so watch the video below to get started, read about spread betting explained in five key points, and open an account.
- It’s a form of short-term derivative trading
- You can speculate on both sides of the market (go long or short)
- Leverage your access to the markets by depositing a fraction of the full trade value
- The spread represents the difference between the buy and sell price
- Your stake size is measured by ‘points of movement’