What is the FTSE 100 and how can you trade it?
Published on: 21/12/2021 | Modified on: 19/08/2022
This article covers some key details you need to know about the FTSE 100 index, which is a benchmark for the UK’s stock market. Learn how you can get involved with FTSE trading, which can involve speculating on products that are based on the FTSE 100 index, including trading on derivatives and exchange-traded funds (ETFs).
- The FTSE 100 index is a benchmark of the UK’s stock market performance
- It includes 100 companies with the highest market capitalisation
- These companies represent a diverse range of sectors such as healthcare, oil and gas, finance, mining, consumer goods and defence
- You cannot directly invest in the index but speculate on its price movements using derivative products like spread bets and CFDs
- Index funds from Vanguard, HSBC and iShares track and replicate the performance of the index