Some Teladoc (NASDAQ: TDOC) investors may be cursing the name Jeff Bezos this morning after seeing their stock dip.
This article was originally written by MyWallSt. Read more market-beating insights from the MyWallSt team here.
But, could Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) have actually just gifted them a great buying opportunity following the release of its telehealth competitor, Amazon Care, to employees nationwide?
Will Amazon kill Teladoc?
Add that question to the growing list of hypotheticals that have yet to come to pass:
- “Amazon Handmade will kill Etsy.”
- “Amazon Pharmacy will kill Big Pharma.”
- “Whole Foods will kill big-box retail.”
- “Prime Video will kill Netflix.”
The list goes ever on, and the answer is usually no, and here’s why:
- Firstly, Amazon Care launched 2 years ago — this isn’t new.
- Secondly, the e-commerce giant has only announced that Amazon Care will begin rolling out to its U.S.-based employees beginning in the summer, as well as some select employers — not exactly a game-changing event.
- Third and lastly, telemedicine is a relatively new industry that is expected to grow at a CAGR of almost 40% to reach $192 billion by 2025 from an estimated $39 billion in 2020. And if you think that’s not enough, the U.S. healthcare industry as a whole is worth closer to $9 trillion — with a ‘T’.
There’s plenty of business to go around when Amazon does eventually catch up, and despite its deep pockets, it has a long way to go before it can replicate its e-commerce and cloud success within the healthcare space. And don’t forget, Amazon is not invincible, as evidenced by the many companies it has not put in the ground with competitors — see list above.
So, in the words of the famous sci-fi author, Douglas Adams:
MyWallSt gives you access to over 100 market-beating stock picks and the research to back them up. Our analyst team posts daily insights, subscriber-only podcasts, and the headlines that move the market. Start your free trial now!
Disclaimer Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results.
CMC Markets is an execution-only service provider. The material (whether or not it states any opinions) is for general information purposes only, and does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment or other advice on which reliance should be placed. No opinion given in the material constitutes a recommendation by CMC Markets or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person.
The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although we are not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, we do not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination.
CMC Markets does not endorse or offer opinion on the trading strategies used by the author. Their trading strategies do not guarantee any return and CMC Markets shall not be held responsible for any loss that you may incur, either directly or indirectly, arising from any investment based on any information contained herein.
*Tax treatment depends on individual circumstances and can change or may differ in a jurisdiction other than the UK.