Chart of the week – iShares PHLX Semiconductor ETF (SOXX)
Potential recovery for US semiconductor stocks (SOXX)
Medium-term technical analysisclick to enlarge chart click to enlarge chart
Time stamped: 22 May 2021 at 1:00 pm SGT
Source: CMC Markets & TradingView
- Since its recent all-time of 449.73 printed on 5 April, the iShares PHLX Semiconductor ETF (SOXX), an exchange trade fund that consists of the 30 major US semiconductors stocks has declined by -14% to print a low of 386.03 on 13 May.
- Several key technical elements are now advocating for a potential recovery in the SOXX; from fractals analysis /Elliot Wave perspective, the entire price movement from these dated swing points (16 February 2021, 9 March 2021, 5 April 2021 & 13 May 2021) can be considered as a likely a-b-c flat/sideways configuration with the potential terminal/end point of the sideways configuration at the 386.00 level that confluences closely with the 1.00 Fibonacci expansion of the down move from 16 February 2021 high to 9 March 2021 low projected from 5 April 2021 high and the 0.764 Fibonacci expansion of the most recent decline from 5 April 2021 high to 4 May 2021 low projected from 7 May 2021 high.
- The 4-hour Relative Strength Index (RSI) has shaped a bullish divergence signal at its oversold region which indicates that the recent downside momentum has eased, and price action may be due for a short to medium-term bullish reversal at this juncture.
- The ratio charts of SOXX against the benchmark S&P 500 (SPY) and its S&P Information Technology Sector (XLK) has indicted recent outperformance of SOXX since 19 May.
- If the 386.00 key medium-term pivotal support holds and a break above 419.50 (the pull-back resistance of the former major ascending support from 18 March 2020 low), SOXX may see a potential impulsive up move sequence to retest its all-time high swing area of 443.97/449.73 in the first step.
- However, a daily close below 386.00 invalidates the recovery scenario for an extension of the corrective decline towards the next support at 367.00.
Disclaimer: CMC Markets is an execution-only service provider. The material (whether or not it states any opinions) is for general information purposes only, and does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. Nothing in this material is (or should be considered to be) financial, investment or other advice on which reliance should be placed. No opinion given in the material constitutes a recommendation by CMC Markets or the author that any particular investment, security, transaction or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. The material has not been prepared in accordance with legal requirements designed to promote the independence of investment research. Although we are not specifically prevented from dealing before providing this material, we do not seek to take advantage of the material prior to its dissemination.